A BIT ABOUT US
It all started in 1927 ...
At the turn of the 20th century, Thomas Gould left $3,000 of his estate to the Hamilton Zoological Society for a specific purpose "to make the Dundurn Park Zoo more attractive for little children". The money was invested while the Society pondered its use. In May, 1927, when the sum had grown to $5,000, the Society decided to remodel the animal house at the Zoo and turn it into an aviary. The Hamilton Parks Board agreed to do the work and the Society agreed to find the birds.
The Rocky 90's
In 1992, the "Friends of the Aviary" took over the daily care and needs of the Flock and the aviary ceased to be a city program. In the summer of 1995, with extensive historical restoration efforts at Dundurn Castle, it became apparent that the birds would not be returning to their home of 70 years.
Fortunately, the Royal Botanical Gardens (RBG) site known as the Teaching Gardens was being vacated. Because of the many features suited to the Aviary at this location, the City and the RBG agreed to a multi-year lease and the Aviary was moved July of 1996; indoor enclosures with outdoor flights were built.
Today, we are Canada's oldest public aviary
The Hamilton Aviary continues to provide sanctuary to tropical birds who have been displaced through no fault of their own.
Using the volunteer bond, The Hamilton Aviary is able to advocate for exotic birds; rehabilitate and retrain them; and educate and foster a deeper knowledge of what these beautiful creatures are truly capable of. All for the love of birds.
The Hamilton Aviary is a non-profit organization run 100% by volunteers, The Friends of the Aviary. Together, our volunteers, our donors and our supporters, strive to ensure that the Flock receives the love and care it needs to thrive.
Show your love of birds today and donate!